Dr. Paulo Henrique Rezende Calil
We are interested in the dynamics of meso- and submesoscale motions in the coastal and shelf regions as well as their biogeochemical implications.
Our group develops state-of-the-art instrumentation in order to detect these motions in the ocean. We also work with very high-resolution numerical modeling to understand in detail the dynamical implications of submesoscale features for the coastal and global ocean, with the aim of providing plausible parameterizations and study their large-scale and climate implications.
- Service 2017 - 2019 Member of the Steering Committee of the Biogeochemical ARGO Program
2016 - 2018 Member of CLIVAR Global Synthesis and Observations (GSOP)
- since Feb 2019 - present Research scientist and group leader Institute of Coastal Research, Helmholtz-Zentrum Hereon, Geesthacht, Germany
- Mar 2012 - Jan 2019 Assistant Professor Universidade Federal do Rio Grande, Rio Grande, Brazil
- May 2017 - Aug 2017 Visiting Professor The University of Tokyo, Kashiwa, Japan
- Jan 2011 - Mar 2012 Physical Oceanography Research Scientist National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research Inc., Wellington, New Zealand
- Aug 2009 - Dec 2010 Post-Doctoral Investigator Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution - Dept. of Marine Chemistry and Geochemistry, Woods Hole-MA, USA
- Aug 2003 - Mar 2009 Research Assistant University of Hawaii at Manoa - Dept. of Oceanography, Honolulu-HI,USA
- Calil, P.H.R., Suzuki, N., Baschek, B., & da Silveira, I.C.A. (2021): Filaments, Fronts and Eddies in the Cabo Frio Coastal Upwelling System, Brazil. Fluids 2021, 6, 54, doi:10.3390/fluids6020054
- Napolitano, D.C., da Silveira, I.C.A., Tandon, A., & Calil, P.H.R. (2021): Submesoscale phenomena due to the Brazil Current crossing of the Vitória‐Trindade Ridge. Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans, 126, e2020JC016731, doi:10.1029/2020JC016731
- Lazaneo, C. Z (Ph.D student)., Napolitano, D. C (Ph.D. student)., da Silveira, I. C. A.,Tandon, A., MacDonald, D. G., Ávila, R. A., Calil, P. H. R. (2020) On the role of turbulent mixing produced by vertical shear between the Brazil Current and the Intermediate Western Boundary Current, J. Geophys. Res. - Oceans, v. 125, e2019JC015338, doi: 10.1029/2019JC015338
- Langa, A.A.A (Ph.D. Student)., Calil, P.H.R (2020). On the role of physical processes on the surface chlorophyll variability in the Northern Mozambique Channel . Ocean Dynamics, v.70, pp. 95?114, doi: 10.1007/s10236-019-01311-0
- Napolitano, D. C., I. C. A. da Silveira, C. B. Rocha, G. R. Flierl, P. H. R. Calil, and R. P. Martins (2019).On the Steadiness and Instability of the Intermediate Western Boundary Current between 24â—¦ and 18â—¦S.. J. Phys. Oceanogr., v. 49, 3127?3143, doi: 10.1175/JPO-D-19-0011.1.
- Roemmich, D., Alford,M., Claustre, H. , Johnson, K., King, B. et. al (2019). On the Future of Argo: A Global, Full-Depth, Multi-Disciplinary Arrays, doi: 10.3389/fmars.2019.00439. Frontiers in Marine Science, v. 6, pp. 439.
- Todd, R. E., Chavez, F. P., Clayton, S., CRAVATTE, S. E., Goes, M. P., Graco, M. I., Arístegui, J.et. al (2019). Global perspectives on observing ocean boundary current systems, doi: 10.3389/fmars.2019.00423. Frontiers in Marine Science, v. 6, pp. 423.
- Mogollón, R. (Ph.D. Student) and P.H.R. Calil (2018), Counterintuitive e˙ects of Global Warming-induced wind patterns on primary production in the Northern Humboldt Current System, Glob. Change Biol. , doi: 10.1111/gcb.14171